Plastic Free July is an amazing time to make some sustainable swaps. If you’re anything like me you’ll need time to turn your swaps into habits so my suggestion to you is to pick one or two of these top tips for plastic reduction each month and just see what a difference that makes by the end of the year.
Here’s my top tips for plastic free living.
- Don’t aim to eradicate all plastic from your life. Simply aim to reduce it. Maybe focus on one area of your home.
- Focus on one key area, such as, shopping, lunch on the go, cleaning or bathroom.
- Replace finished products, don’t throw away items which you can still use.
- Think about how you can build things into your daily routine, such as using a reusable coffee cup.
- Test things out, switching to plastic free can be trial and error. You haven’t failed if you don’t like a particular product, keep trying until you find the one for you.
- Make sure the plastic free option works for you. If it doesn’t you’re less likely to stick with it.
- Don’t feel bad if you forget your reusables! We all do it! Just make a plan for reminding yourself the next time.
- Some reusables can seem pricey compared to their single use counterparts. So take some time to work out the costs over a longer period of time.
- Don’t judge yourself or others. We’re all at different stages of our journey.
- Take time to consider the alternatives to single use plastic. Find the best swap for you.
We hope you’ve all found our tips for plastic free living helpful. We’d love to hear about how you’re getting on. Make sure you tag us in any plastic swaps you make in July on your social media.
Also take a look at our Boxes of Swaps here to give you even more tips for Plastic Free July inspiration.