Halloween can be a lot of fun but it can also generate a whole lot of waste! We’ve had a think about how we can help to have a less wasteful Halloween this year and we thought you might find them useful too.
Tips for reducing waste from Halloween costumes:
- Team up with a group of friends to share and swap Halloween costumes.
- Have a go at making your own costumes with what you have around the house! A pillowcase can make a great base tunic for any costume.
- Customise and repurpose old costumes, you can add a bit here and there to jazz it up and make it longer if it’s a little short!
- If you have costumes you no longer need, you could donate them to your local school or drama groups for them to use.
- Buy Halloween pyjamas, that way they can be worn more than once!
- If you’re buying new consider buying something slightly larger so that it will still fit next year.
- Children can make their own Halloween masks by painting or drawing, that way you also have a fun activity to entertain them during half term!
- Have a look in the local charity shops as they often have clothes that you could put together to make a fab costume.
Things to do with a pumpkin!
- Carve your pumpkin!
- Make pumpkin soup – there are some great recipes here
- Save the seeds to plant up for next year
- Roast the seeds for a delicious snack
- Make pumpkin pie
- Roast your pumpkin pieces for a Halloween feast
We hope these ideas are useful for a less wasteful Halloween, if you have any top tips that you like to share, please feel free to get in touch with us and pop over to our social media pages where we regularly share ideas about eco friendly living. For other useful information, check out our blogs.